Our old girl had her birthday the other day - Nushie is 9, definitely a graceful old lady.
Looking at her, I got to thinking how right that old saying might be, the one so many people have trotted out and giggled at in the years we have been the owners of a mighty Shar Pei.
"Dogs look like their owners".
Oh I just laugh and laugh every time someone (usually the same friend) trots that one out but maybe they have seen a truth I missed until tonight - we do have some resemblances...
- She is short. So am I.
- She a natural brunette. So am I (underneath whatever dye I'm wearing, anyway).
- She is stiff and sore after lying or sitting down, so am I.
- She's as ugly as sin to those who value outward appearance over worth, and so am I.
- She is old and wrinkled, need of a face lift and mostly taken for granted. So am I.
- She is resigned to spending her days in useless sleepy boredom and so am I (almost).
- We both like riding in the car, we both have trouble getting to the loo in time, we both have a facial hair problem and we've both been spayed.
- Best of all, we both get told to move our fat arse.
And what more could a fat, old bitch want on her birthday than scones, cake, pikelets with jam and 3 rides in the car.
Speaking of middle age, I thought sex in the Middle Ages was Nookie in the Norty Forties, but it looks like I was wrong...